My Mother’s Kitchen for Book Clubs
- Make recipes from the book to enjoy during the discussion session.
Questions for Discussion
- What is the author trying to accomplish? Entertainment? Message?
- Do you feel this is autobiographical?
The Book in General
- Is the book believable?
- What is the book’s greatest strength? Flaw?
- Can you describe the book in one word?
- Can you compare this book to any others you have read?
- Would you recommend this book to others?
- Is the main character sympathetic?
- Were problems or challenges faced by the main character resolved?
- How do the main character’s decisions affect her life? Others?
- Is the main character likeable? Would you like to see more of her in another book?
- Is the story driven by plot, ideas or character?
- How is the story told?
- How does the author’s style affect the story?
- Read a paragraph from the book to demonstrate what you like or dislike about the author’s style.
- What theme drives the story?
- Is the theme relevant today?
- What ideas drive the story?
- Did you agree with the author’s choice of title?
- Does the story/content reflect the title?
- What are some of your family’s favorite recipes?
- Is there a dish that has been passed down through the generations?
- Have you cooked or experimented with Indian cooking?
- Will you incorporate some of the spices, ghee in the future?
- What was your favorite recipe in the book? Why?